What is Foreign Exchange to Me?

"A year of of my life. My life in a year."

Google Translate (Google Übersetzer)

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Happy (almost) Thanksgiving!

I may be turning 18 Friday, but I will P1010292ALWAYS be a little kid a heart. Not necessarily a little girl, seeing as I never did like to wear dresses, but always a little kid. Last Saturday, as a present for my 18th birthday, I went to the Build-a-Bear workshop in the mall in Hameln with my host-parents (and my host-grandpa! Open-mouthed smile )and I made a teddy! His P1010305name is Wolfgang, and he is just about the cutest thing ever. He has a pirate hat and a German flag. My host-mom thought I should name him “Bobby der Pirat” but I thought a German name was more sufficient. Though I am quite sad because my host-mom has been holding him hostage all week because I’m not allowed to have him until my actual birthday, but once I have him, you can be assured he won’t be leaving my side for a long while. Gift with a bow

So I have been here for almost 110 days, and I am still not used to turning the faucet to the right for cold water. I think something is seriously wrong with me. Or with German plumbing. Seriously, of all the things in the world not to make universal!? My life would be so much easier sometimes if the plumbing systems we’re the same, then after a freezing cold day, I wouldn’t walk into the bathroom only to splash my face with freezing cold water.

Back in September, I was out with my school friends and somehow we came across the topic of Thanksgiving, and my best friend pinkie-promised (and we all know, there is no going back on a pinke-promise!) me we would have a Thanksgiving, so he and I spent all afternoon making lists and buying/preparing food, and tomorrow we’re having about 15 people at his house (his family included) to have a genuine Thanksgiving with turkey and everything! I am so excited!

My German has progressively been getting better, it’s nice to actually at least sort of understand what’s going on. That being said, this picture perfectly depicts my (and every other exchange student’s)German skills.

316778_2755353282438_1215873400_33264828_252346843_n

My schedule is still in the process of being changed, but I am taking Bilingual American History which is really interesting because not only do I understand the class, but I learn German at the same time. Not to mention it made my day last week when one of the students was talking about “sweatshops” but he pronounced it “sweetshops” and didn’t understand why there was such a big difference between the two. Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment

Days in Germany